Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Hermit Attends a Wedding

Does a hermit attend a wedding and reception following?

This hermit did. It was the wedding of a protestant friends' daughter with a Catholic young man who has not been practicing his faith. His family are very devout, however. So it must have been rather painful for them to witness the outdoor ceremony with Methodist minister who, well-intentioned, provided jokes and a banal ceremony. Yet, there were prayers, and the vows, and then the reception.

A Capuchin priest, a life-long friend of the groom's family, came from another state and was incorported into the ceremony by reading a meditation on love by Thomas a Kempis. He wore no cleric garb or monastic habit. I'm not sure why. Of course, the priests I know might not be willing to have participated in this type of ritual. I don't know.

A priest told me to attend and be a presence of the Church and to pray for conversions. I did.

And I observed much and listened, and tried to encourage others when at all possible, which was very little given the loud music after the outdoor dinner. I observed much love in this young couple, and much love and warmth in the families, but also a kind of division between not only the Catholic-protestant aspects but the socio-economic aspects of the two families.

I offer the suffering from sitting and the effort of driving for this young couple, for the groom to return to the Faith and the bride to convert. Now, wouldn't that be lovely? Yes!

In hermit life, intention and purpose seem key to discerning involvements and activity. I'm not sure how the situation would have altered had I been in a habit of some kind, or people had known I am a hermit. I knew both factions of the bride's and groom's families, since I grew up in that small town as a protestant and converted there as 44-year-old adult. It is probably best for me, at least until some time in the future if God wills, to remain more an undercover hermit, hidden from standing out as particular, and noticed only by ordinary presence.

I know the sentiments of the protestants toward the Catholics, and I comprehend the shock or grief of the Catholics given the "service" and "ceremony." Yes, it was of a different world and reminds Catholics of the depth and breadth of our Faith.