Friday, September 21, 2007

Encouragement from the Spiritual Da

The hermit's spiritual father sent a letter full of wisdom and encouragement.

He quotes a passage from Guidance in Spiritual Direction by Doyle.

"It is related that God revealed to Macarius, the anchorite of Crete, famous for his austerities, devotions of sanctity, tha there were two married women in a neighboring town of greater perfection than himself. He left the desert, staff in hand, in search of them. He found them, unknown to fame, unmarked by beauty or fortune, practicing the plain virtues of humility, patience, charity, self denial and resignation, doing their domestic duties with cheerfulness, and maintaining a devotional spirit by ejaculatory prayer and frequent conservations of soul and body to God."

My Da then added:

"In today's Mass readings Paul tells Timothy 'I want you to make progress that is evident to everyone. It applies to us. We must make progress in the way of perfection.'"

Then he concluded with what, no doubt, was meant to humble me, for it shames me to think how poorly I behave, how weak in focus and conviction, and how unwilling to die:

"I value your visits. I am lazy. I can get into a comfortable rut. Your visits inspire me and shame me. You do a tremendous amount of good everywhere."

This made me cry.

The timing of everything needs to be sorted out, prayed over, and I think I am to be buried alive right here, out in the Mary Garden of Agnus Dei Hermitage, and probably on a miserably hot day.