Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hermit as Window

I put into writing my simple rule of life, motto and mission, Scriptural basis, overview of daily activity, plus the private vow that could be the temporary vow. It took one page, with ample spaces. Such matters as a Tabernacle in my hermitage are bridges to be crossed later, if necessary. But I can at this time get to Mass, or someone could bring me the Eucharist. The main thing is for me to live the life daily and practice the nine s', and pray, work, and love, etc. I do not want to be singular or noticed, but that is my particular call in this vocation, and others have other calls by God for His purposes. To see me, no one would ever dream I am a hermit. That works best for this locale and clientele. Yet if necessary, I can discuss the vocation with others who may need or want to know about it, but most would not and do not. I am to be a simple view or window to heaven, and windows usually aren't explained, they just are there to see through.

Windows are a reminder of something beyond, a view of something more. They invite one to come close and glimpse out, or to stand and gaze for a long while, or sit and gaze. Sometimes people look out windows and their thoughts are so distracted that they do not see a thing other than what is in their thoughts. People can get used to windows to the point of not noticing what is beyond.

A hermit is to be a window to heaven, a window that reminds people to view what, basically, the Nine S' entail: silence, solitude, slowness, suffering, selflessness, simplicity, stability, stillness and serenity. A hermit is to be a window to the other world, not the temporal world, but the spiritual realm where all souls will return and be placed in one level or another or another. The window treatments vary, and mine is not a distraction itself, but hopefully the window I am to be is the focal point. Not the external dressing or title. A friend last night commented that one should not wear the hermit life like a badge [blind, curtain?]. She has a point.

It is the window that provides the opening for others to see the view beyond, and "I" should not be that view. But, this comes under the "s" of "selflessness."

This morning I awoke and realized that I am a complete hermit. I have been, probably since I made private vows on Dec. 29, 2000 in that old and beautiful chapel, with my spiritual father receiving, and the beautiful anchoritic ceremony we had. There was no Mass, but perhaps it was like the wedding of a non-Catholic with a Catholic: a valid wedding but without a Mass.

Now I will attempt to validate further with my Vicar General, and the next Bishop, by offering those vows made as temporary vows. They may accept these years of living the life, even though I did not realize the label "hermit" for the bulk of the time. But if not, the living out of the vows continues just as a window remains. Sometimes it needs to be washed clear, however, and clarified.

I may or may not need to follow through on an annulment. The paper work has been filed for a few years, but priests advised me it was not necessary. Again, the VG and new Bishop will decide what they require and desire. I may be consecrated or perhaps not. If consecrated, I know it will be very private and low-key, meek and humble of heart. An intimate ceremony is as valid as a large celebration. If more than myself is present, and of course there would be the Bishop or his designee, there is thus an earthly witness.

St. Colette of Corbie, when sealed into her anchorhold, would have preferred anonymity, but the town turned out to watch the ceremony. But others, such as Maria of Olonets or those nameless hermits who have lived and died in obscurity, had few if any witnesses this side of their window. Is the hermit life one in which the means does justify the end? One must live the life and live it well, live out the rule that God, the hermit, and the superiors have agreed upon.

In the LaCrosse guidebook, many options and suggestions are given for forms, ceremonies, rites, vows, and rules of life (as I now know is interchangeable with the term "plan of life"). A guidebook is very helpful. One rule of life was given, so simple, to the effect: "I will live and pray in this place until God desires me to move elsewhere". I need more structure at this phase, but this rule for some other hermit sufficed.

Yes, I am a complete hermit, and now that this issue is resolved, I must live the rule better each moment. Wash my window regularly, be that window, encourage the looking through and out beyond, without distracting others from the view.