Monday, May 28, 2007

Truth and Relationships

Am learning much about pride and how that is the sole reason why people take offense at any small truths. Those who see small truths must then not take offense at those who take offense. It then goes on and on, and this is why there is not peace and goodwill among men. And why so many distract themselves, and why it is so difficult for those who are trying not to distract themselves, for being open to even the smallest of truths is painful until one gets used to seeing ourselves as we are.

It is hard for me to overcome the insecurities when the distractions are stripped. Am reading a book by a current author on Hildegard of Bingen, and she gives opinions in her writings which come from her bias and anger, when Hildegard and some women do choose to love Christ, to attempt an ideal of the holy.

Is true friendship based upon truth or is that impossible due to pride in friends, one or both or several? The problem with truth is that opinions may fog truth. Or, the recipient does not like the rawness and is not used to sharing the truth with others who see it.

The pain I am feeling is that of people who seem to withdraw when I speak truth. But is what I speak truth or like the author, perhaps, opinions? My adult children do not like me to see truth in their lives. I suppose it is painful for them, and the sense of mother overrides simple friendship. Jesus spoke the truth to the young man who asked what it would take to enter the kingdom of Heaven. The young man walked away after hearing the truth.

What is to be my reaction when people I have come to love and trust in friendship, pull back in offense if, for example, I mention something of truth in their lives, such as responding to their upset over a self-centered spouse or when they sense that I see their favoring of one child, or possessiveness. I do not intend to comment. But perhaps I am dispensible as a friend because I have no authority to speak of anything. And, should I be available when the people, if they do, get over their being offended? Or should I guard my heart?

Look what happened to St. Joan of Arc. This is the month of her burn. She spoke truth; people took offense, especially people in power. She learned the truth: trust only in God, not in mankind.