Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Hermit Nitty Gritty

I don't write anything profound about hermit life, being an incomplete hermit and all. But, as an aspiring complete hermit, I note the nitty gritty. Really, there is very little help about the day-to-day issues of a hermit.

Today I met with a woman who reads a book a month, along with me, and we discuss it. Inevitably, the readings of the book just finished (Treasury of Catholic Wisdom) contain various theologians and saints comments on Mary and Martha. The contemplative life is always presented in its true light, and various aspects of Martha's mode in the active life are discussed. Yet, always is it upheld that Jesus did say, "Mary chose the better part."

St. Therese of Lisieux comments further that Martha was busy doing her work, but she complained and was not at peace. Truly, if we are in the active life, we must learn to be busy at our work but also to learn to pray, to be recollected, in that work. If one cannot hold the mind to pray but must use it for the task at hand, then one can train the will and mind to set the work to be done to God's glory.

Today we also discussed some group settings, and I pondered them in light of a hermit's life. (Until the Bishop determines that I am not a hermit nor to be canonically approved, I must continue on living as if I were a hermit, learning and growing in the nine s'.) My friend spoke of some groups of women she participates in, and to me they sound dreadful due to the content of discussion. I made the comment that we must do as St. Teresa of Avila advises, and if others do not lead our souls to heaven, then we must flee their company. St. Therese even had to confront a sister with whom the Superior wanted her to have discussions, for the discussions were not holy to a heroic degree of virtue. The other nun admitted her faults, and they evolved to heights in dropping the unholy aspects of the one nun's outlook, which was heavily turned to "self."

My friend said that we must not judge other people like that, to say that what they discuss is pointless or worthless. I had said quite bluntly that the topic was a waste of time. Then I stated that yes, we must judge what is of good for our souls and what is a detriment, and make choices accordingly. Some people may never see that what they discuss is worthless for their souls, other than perhaps to provide great remorse if they ever do see how pointless and how much time was wasted.

I have been at that turning point in various aspects. Thankfully, by the grace of God, I become tired and ill of that which is not good for my soul, but in the meantime I have wasted much time in the past, and do so even now.

It is all a matter of desire of the soul for holiness, being still enough to observe one's soul and life lived, and then whacking off what does not uplift the soul, does not help the soul climb the holy mountain of the Lord.

For a hermit, and perhaps for many souls, the social activities must drop off the mountain path. The path is far too narrow and steep for a group of people to hike holding their novels and sodas or cocktails.

Driving home, I realized that the Lord has blessed me with such a yearning for Him, for His love, that increasingly I am not interested in others who do not yearn for God alone, to live all for God. I could see that in the few close contacts God gives me, if it weren't for the freedom to discuss Christ and the soul's climb to heaven, these few would drop off just as the women's clubs have done in the past.

It seems harsh, but I ask what did Jesus discuss? What was His only agenda and focus? What kind of group did he have? The reality and accuracy of the Gospels cannot be twisted, not legitimately or honorably, to fit our lack of fitness or desire for the ascent.

My discussion partner mentioned that there are two topics which are to be discussed with others. I again bluntly stated that if we want to be saints and are called to holiness, then there is but one topic to be discussed, and that his God. A hermit is not running for public office. A priest or rector perhaps must be all for all, but a hermit must be all for God.

Maybe this is the hermit's greatest task and sign to the world, and that is what most of the world will never see. How many women's fiction groups or elderly ladies focused on their next doctor's appointment know about the Carthusians and Camaldolese and their 24 hours of contemplative prayer for souls and the world?

And the hermits do not fret about it, for they desire not to be known except by God: are called to pray, to be alone with God, to love God in God, and through God in God they love all souls in God.