Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Hermit Offends and Sees Self in Mirror of Pride

The hermit offended someone by basically criticizing the use of terminology used to describe the laity which seemed not positive or perhaps a bit demeaning. The hermit in doing so was also burning a bridge, a bridge the hermit must not cross again and needed to make sure the temptation was eliminated.

The offended party reacted more than what the criticism warranted. But taking offense is a matter of pride.

And, the hermit sees self in the mirror of pride, for having given offense to the person was a matter of pride, too. The hermit was reacting, as well.

Pride is a nasty business, and most hurts and woundedness find their root in pride. Detachment from one's own will, one's own view of "self", assists in the suppression of pride. Categorizing people places oneself above, and that is pride. Criticizing those who do so, as a means of pointing out another person's fault, can place the critic in a position of being above, of being the overseer of others' faults--and this mirrors pride, as well.

The hermit thinks the situation is resolved and admitted to the spiritual father that there was some orneriness involved. And he said it is understandable to be somewhat wounded and to react, and he laughed at the terminology used by the other to describe the laity, and then the explanation given. But all in all, the person will perhaps not categorize, as we really should not do this. It is not easy, though. The world consists in categories; the Church has them, too, even in the categories of "saints" and "sinners", of laity, clerics, religious, married, single, affluent, poor, marginalized, and on into categories such as common folk, educated, uneducated, controversial, submissive, weird, different, and so forth. It is a way of labeling, and we should strive to look upon others as "souls".


To not take offense is a virtue. It falls under the virtue of humility, and within that, meekness. This private revelation from the Virgin Mary to St. Bridget of Sweden expresses how the Blessed Mother lived her life after the Ascension of her Son, and it particularly bodes well in the last lines for those who need help in learning to not be overly concerned with others' opinions--that is, if one is living a life focused on Christ and striving in the virtues. If criticism is given that ought be considered and with changes needed, then one should care about what others think. But, in general, once a soul centers on Christ, and in so doing steps outside the labels and categories, the example of the Virgin Mary stands as a model in how to react by not reacting.


"After the Ascension of my Son, I still lived a long time in the world. Such was the will of God, in order that seeing my patience and my conduct, many more souls might be converted to Him, and in order that the Apostles and other elect souls of God might be strengthened. Also the natural constitution of my being required that I should live longer and that thereby my crown might be increased.


"During the time that I lived after my Son's Ascension, I visited the places where He had suffered and where He had performed His miracles. Thus the memory of His Passion became so imprinted on my heart that it ever remained quite fresh in my mind, whether I happened to be eating or working.

"My senses were so completely withdrawn from worldly things that I constantly alternated between new supernatural yearnings and sorrows. Yet I controlled my grief and my joy in such a way that I did not neglect any of my duties toward God. My way of life among people was such that apart from my scanty meals I paid no attention to what human beings thought of me or expected me to do." [highlight added].

From Mary as Seen by the Mystics, comp. by Raphael Brown (TAN), p. 244.

The hermit plans to keep this way of Mary's way of being quite close to mind and heart. It is worthy of imitation. Pride has no place in her way of life among people. Her senses were so completely withdrawn from worldly things.... She did not perceive others in categories, for she perceived God in all and all in God.