Monday, November 19, 2007

A Letter Arrives from the Spiritual Da

The hermit received a letter from the Spiritual Da. He had listened to the two messages from the hermit, regarding the dream and questions asked.

He, of course, advised caution. The confessor had also stiffened with caution until the work in discernment was related.

But the Spiritual Da wrote then of what, truly, constitutes union, without saying as much.

He asked, "What is LOVE?"

Then answered his question: "It is dying to oneself and giving to ANOTHER."

Writing further, he admonished the hermit to be more concerned about God's love for the hermit than the hermit's love for God. In other words, he wrote: Be centered on God and not on yourself.

"Let your love for God be unselfish.
Often we love God's gifts more than we love Him."

And he repeated a warning he's given before: Be patient: Go slowly. You are driving too hard.

He closed by reminding the hermit to just enjoy the day, each day; and to know that God loves the hermit. As for the hermit's family, he advised to stand back, look and laugh at any foolishness, and yet know that God loves them. Be patient with them as God is very patient. And, finally: be happy!

The hermit asks and ponders: Have you grown into God yet?

In reflection, the hermit realizes that the Spiritual Da expresses what union with God means: Love. It is to be so much God, so in God, no longer "I" who lives but Christ who lives in the "I", that there is no more "I" The "I" ceases when it gives all to the OTHER, when the concern is on God's love, not the "I'" love. For the "I" has become God's love and is God's love, has the attributes of God's love, the character and appearance of God's love.

Thus, the "I" no longer an "I", but the "I" who is be-come God-is-Love, is patient and kind, is unselfish, and loves Love more than loves the affect of Love.

Do you understand? I think so. I think union with God is a matter of accepting and understanding Love. It is a matter of becoming Love.